[Wikipedia-l] be: and be-x-old: interwiki

Jaska Zedlik sub at zedlik.com
Wed May 9 20:15:56 UTC 2007

Hello,

On 29/04/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> American English, British English, Australian English etc all of them are
> able to work together. Having different orthographies is perfectly
> acceptable. The same applies to Spanish and Portuguese. Wikipedia does not
> exist to develop a particular orthography. That is in and of itself a reason
> to dismiss a request for a new Wikipedia.
>
> I wonder what your definition of a dialect is. What you are writing is not
> even a dialect.

I'm sorry for interfearing now, but this is the point we should to
start months ago. Several different English'es have different
orthography, lexic, and so on nearly in the way different Belarusian's
have, and English'es coexist in the one project. But Gerard, could you
please explain why today any usage of another orthography is totally
forbidden by the be.wikipedia.org administrators? This is even
mentioned at the top on the main page, and also stated that this
desicion was made by Wikimedia Foundation, but, as I understand, both
you and Berto still wonder what's the real situation with the
Belarusian orthographies, and still don't have a clear picture. But
then what is the Wikimedia solutuion mentioned at be.wikipedia.org,
and why the official orthography is the only allowed in this
Wikipedia?

Regards,
Jaska Zedlik