[Wikipedia-l] Passwords

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:32:34 UTC 2007

For those who haven't yet heard, someone has been hitting en.wikipedia
with what appears to be an attack looking for admins with weak
passwords - "password", "password1", "[username]", etc. Then they go
on a predictable spree; deleting the main page, mostly. I think we're
down four so far...

It's possible someone might try this in the near future on other wikis
- a lot of vandals tend to only go for en, but you never know, this
one might be feeling multicultural!

This might be a good time to spread the word and ask your admins to
consider checking their passwords are good and secure - after all,
it's good practice anyway.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk