[Wikipedia-l] Be-x-old

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:22:20 UTC 2007

On 29/03/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The language committee was asked how to deal with it. We found that there is
> little or no chance to get this "orthography" recognised by the current
> ISO-639 standard. The standard allows for a private label; we selected an
> arbitrary label. From my personal point of view, there should be no be-x-old
> wikipedia in the first place; I would see it moved outside of the Wikimedia
> Foundation.

Could you explain how this orthography was consistent and formalised
enough for an entire Wikimedia project to use it and yet is not
recognised by the standard? It seems unusual that such an orthography
can be used enough to have this level of recognition (to the extent
that it displaces the formal orthography) and yet not be recognised by
the standard.

Has the Norwegian solution been considered (seperate Bokmål and
Nynorsk Wikipedias) as a soltution to the Belarussian problem?

Wikimedia needs to be pragmatic. No standard is perfect.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)