[Wikipedia-l] Be-x-old

Ihar Hrachyshka ihar.hrachyshka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:11:03 UTC 2007

У Чцв, 29/03/2007 у 14:12 +0200, GerardM піша:
> Hoi,
> Wikipedia is not a platform to fight political fights. When, what was the
> Belarus Wikipedia, decided that the orthography as used in Belarus was not
> to be used, it lost its right to call itself be.wikipedia.org. This problem
> became acute when there was an incubator project for the official language.
>
> The language committee was asked how to deal with it. We found that there is
> little or no chance to get this "orthography" recognised by the current
> ISO-639 standard. The standard allows for a private label; we selected an
> arbitrary label. From my personal point of view, there should be no be-x-old
> wikipedia in the first place; I would see it moved outside of the Wikimedia
> Foundation.
>
> There is no chance of having both a be and a bel wikipedia because these
> codes refer to the same language. Where you say "hear the Belarusians" you
> made the concious choice not to hear those Belarusians that write the
> official Belarus orthography. This truth has come home to roost.

I know that those who write now the official orthography are against
such a solve of the problem. I am one of admins of new Bel-Wiki and we
didn't want to ban be-x-old. We wanted to start a new project with other
language politics. That's it.
So, if this can't be reverted (though all the Belarusian Wikipedians
from both sides support such revertion) then - what can our community do
to stay be-x-old project - even in other domain - apart with current
be.wp.org?