[Wikipedia-l] GeoHack can now be localized

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:34:37 UTC 2007

By request, I changed my geohack tool, which is used by many
wikipedias to provide a list of map and data resources for given GPS
coordinates, to optionally use localized templates.

For that purpose, I've moved the en template to
[[Template:GeoTemplate]]. For localization (say, "fr"), you have to
1. copy the text of [[en:Template:GeoTemplate]] to [[fr:Template:GeoTemplate]]
2. edit [[fr:Template:GeoTemplate]] to the local language
3. call geohack with the additional parameter "language=fr" (URL
generation is usually done by templates, so a few fixes on your
wikipedia should do)

I still say that Map Sources/GeoHack should become part of the default
MediaWiki installation for wikipedias via extension. Using the
toolserver for this was a quick hack (thus the name) after the
original server went offline. It HTTP-GETs the
[[Template:GeoTemplate]] for /every single request/, which is bad for
both toolserver and wikipedia servers and could be solved internally
much more elegantly.

Magnus