[Wikipedia-l] Looking to interview Wikipedians

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Wed Mar 21 16:41:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> US Wikipedians will probably all be working on the English language
> Wikipedia. It means that all the skills and experience associated with
> small communities, working on an encyclopaedia that does not cover all
> subject matter. Working on languages where the community it is done for
> does not know what Wikipedia is, it is that experience that will be
> missing. In that way it will hardly cover the breadth of Wikipedia.

He doesn't claim to be attempting to cover the breadth of Wikipedia.
Implicit in the post is that it concerns Wikipedia usage in the United
States.

I find it is common for people to mistake limits placed on a study with a
bias in the study.  Let me give another example that might make this
clearer.  If a study concerns left handed people (one of the most commonly
studied groups) then failing to include non-left handed people is not a
bias in the study, it is a function of the limits of a study.  Similarly
if a study wanted only left handed US residents then the study would be
about left handed US residents.  This does not imply any bias in the
study.  Any study worthy of the name will go in to great detail when it
comes to methodology of subject selection and any subsequent testing that
is done.

It will be great when smaller WP communities are studied too but this
study clearly isn't doing that.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073
OpenTrend Solutions Ltd      Email:          support at opentrend.net
                              Web:            www.opentrend.net
Contributing Member of Software in the Public Interest