[Wikipedia-l] Notability changes from Jimbo's view

Ian Tresman it at knowledge.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 17:04:52 UTC 2007

At 16:17 11/03/2007, you wrote:
>Hoi,
>I am sure that Jimbo does not want to be considered as the yardstick whereby
>everything is measured. Worthiness is this new word created by the American
>television guy and it means whatever you make it.
>
>There are many facts that are verifiable. that do not attract attention,
>with secondary sources providing a consensus that it is likely to be true
>that are absolutely not enough to merit a mention in Wikipedia (I drank
>coffee yesterday .. today's cup of coffee I drank alone so that one does not
>count). If you call this balderdash than you will agree with me that it is
>fine not to annotate every cup of coffee that has been drunk in pleasant
>company.
>
>If you do not agree, you may request a new project called Wikicoffee.

I'm sure that Jimbo had some basic criteria for Wikipedia, and while
I'm sure he doesn't care whether we use yardsticks are meter sticks,
he might care that we are measured in some form.

I agree that we shouldn't document every cup of coffee. But I would
like the opportunity, somewhere, to read a summary of someone's ideas.

Regards,
Ian Tresman