[Wikipedia-l] Index Data Announces Open Content

Jonathan Leybovich jleybov at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 18:43:43 UTC 2007

All,

Index Data, maker of free software tools for
bibliographic data exchange (in particular through the
[[Z39.50]] protocol) has started indexing several open
content projects, including Wikipedia:

http://www.indexdata.dk/opencontent/

The integration with Wikipedia is very basic, however,
and the only useful article metadata that can really
be extracted at this point is the article title.  I'd
like to suggest that we consider allowing the
association of Wikipedia categories with something
like [[Library of Congress Subject Headings]] (I think
something like this was going to be an eventual fruit
of WiktionaryZ).  Though doing so would not
immediately enhance Wikipedia functionally, it would
help Wikipedia conform to the very established
standards and tools in the library sciences world and
therefore enhance its availability to the many people
doing their research primarily through such
mechanisms.