[Wikipedia-l] Look Who's Using Wikipedia ... gerardm

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:22:31 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Your reply seems to assume en.wikipedia only. I am however not as
pessimistic as you are.. The English Wikipedia provides a wealth of great
quality information in many subjects. Even though it is a work in progress
it gets better all the time in both quality and quantity.

When asked where the English Wikipedia fails, it is for me in the other
cultures. However, when you consider the Wikipedians that have a different
mother tongue, there is a group that does their native language and there
are others that work on the English Wikipedia. It could be argued that the
quality of the articles in the English Wikipedia has a relation to the
quality of the Wikipedia in the local language.

As to improving the "other" Wikipedias, there are many ways in which this
can be done. The question is do these Wikipedias have to be in the exact
mould of the "big ones" or is some cultural diversity allowed ?

Thanks,
    GerardM