[Wikipedia-l] Intervening in an edit war

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Sat Mar 3 14:46:00 UTC 2007

The first thing to do is take a long look at the editing history of both the article and its talk page (reading the cited references helps too). The theory behind this is that the more information you have, the better you can do with the situation. Likewise, without taking sides, let each party tell their side to you. They will probably do that if you email them and ask them about what is going on. Your course after you gain information depends on what you find out. If the parties are reasonable they may listen to suggestions based on what you have learned. If they are determined, come hell or high water, to get their way, they won't, but you won't know that without patient investigation and patient attempts to make helpful suggestions.

Work from the assumption that they are both trying hard to to the right thing and trying to follow Wikipedia policies as they understand them. Often there is considerable misunderstanding of our policies and practices as applied to specific issues. Perhaps you can clear these up.

Fred