[Wikipedia-l] Recent changes

Stanley Wurangian stanley at e-intidata.com
Tue Jul 31 06:43:25 UTC 2007

Hi,
My user name is borgx from Indonesian Wikipedia.
I would like to ask the strategy used for English Wikipedia in
monitoring their recent changes. As far as I'm concern it has thousands
of edits an hour (exact numbers escape me)
My questions are:
1. Did you ever miss an edit?
2. If yes, what if they were vandals edit? What is your solution for these?

Indonesian Wikipedia now has approx. 1,300 edits per day and the numbers
will only grow in time. Although the numbers (comparing to yours)
considered low, we also have a very limited number of sysops --
specially when out of 14 syspops, we only have a few active ones and
during their monitoring period -- which is not a continuous-- they only
check the top 50 or 100 and go about and did something else. These
actions leaves gap out of the 1,300 edits a day + we have no mechanism
that gives an information to public user saying " the changes had been
checked" so we might be checking the same thing several time.

I understand that we have a "patrolled edit" mechanism, but this
mechanism is not going well this time because new users may edit
something up to 20 times in a certain time and we need to marked
patrolled edit 20 times <-- this is not practical. (I have submitted bug
8697 for this but there's no action from developer for my request).

Regards,
Borgx