[Wikipedia-l] National flag on wikipedia logo

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 15:19:54 UTC 2007

Marco Chiesa wrote:
> Hi,
>   surfing on hy.wikipedia (Armenian I think) I've noticed that the logo
> has been coulored with the national flag colours. Not having a clue on
> Armenian, I'm not sure if this is only a temporary change (National
> Holidays?) or a permanent change. I think it shouldn't be allowed in the
> latter case, since wikipedia is about languages and not countries.
>
> Cruccone

Ack !
Whilst I am supportive of temporary (as in "24 hours") fun logo for
special events, setting up a permanent derivative logo is really wrong,
in particular when it refers to a nation.

Can someone talk to them and explain to them it is not okay to do this ?
I would be interested to know the process followed which led to such a
decision. Might it reflect internal bias or a misunderstanding of the
nature of our project ?

Ant