[Wikipedia-l] About creating a new language on Wikipedia

Berto 'd Sera albertoserra at ukr.net
Wed Jul 18 19:00:04 UTC 2007

Ray,

Pls explain what language is missing the concept of "change" (edit), "move",
"discuss", nickname, etc.

Calling "genocide" what you do would perfectly qualify for the forced
education in Italian imposed after the Italian Unification. Children were
beaten and publicly humiliated for generations, just for having said a "word
in dialect". Some 20 years ago I saw the last case of a piedmontese family
being taken away the custody of their daughter because "they could not even
speak Italian".

Yet, calling this "holocaust" seems quite a strong terminology to me. While
I agree that we were object of cultural deletion I cannot say that we were
physically mass slaughtered or gassed, as it happened in the Holocaust.

There was an deliberate plan to delete us all as a culture, this much is
true and must be documented. Besides, it's mostly still happening. Let alone
Italy, there are extremely worrying things happening in France, where recent
studies implies that people "exposed to regional languages in their youth"
become socially lesser. This is nazi POV, although I doubt they fully grasp
the implications of what they say.
(http://www.europe1.fr/informations/articles/714735/les-illettres-ne-sont-pa
s-ceux-qu-on-croit.html ). To make things even sadder the UNESCO
"International Mother Language Day" this year was held in Paris. Apparently
some French officers are unaware of what UNESCO is :)

For most people belonging in majorities, minorities are simply "weird
people" who must be "corrected". They actually feel they are helping you,
which makes things pretty cruel, but I'd say it excludes a comparison to
genocide in principle. BTW, the same behavior applies to left-handed vs
right-handed people (I was born left-handed and personally experienced the
joy of being "educated" to "do it RIGHT", and yes, I still "do it WRONG" any
time I can :p ).

It's really a matter of defending your own rights without getting to
hysterics. Whether we like it or not, minorities will remain minorities
anyway, and they can only loose in direct brute force confrontation. So take
a stand, defend the rights and NEVER get to compromise on that, but pls
let's avoid a terminology that can only generate further lost conflicts. We
need rights NOW, not a formal recognition about past mischief while the
current mischief keeps going.

It's mostly a matter of learning how to market minorities to a wider
audience, and make them recognized for what they are: one culture as another
(with robbers, idiots, saints and lots of ordinary people as anybody else).
Pride is important, but hatred won't do any good.

> The pride and positive self-perception cannot be supplied by outsiders.
> For the successful native populations in North America cultural revival
> has needed to be accompanied by economic opportunity within their own
> territories.
I can only agree in full. I won't rewrite what I already wrote in full, so I
can only invite you to read this:
http://eng.i-iter.org/project-presentations-0 and especially this:
http://eng.i-iter.org/quest-effective-policy-0

It's not a WMF project and it cannot be, since while being 100% no-profit it
involves commercial activities, but it moves exactly in that direction.

> It says something about governments when they put such facilities in the
> capital instead of the indigenous territory where it would involve more
> people.  If the most capable individuals among the Veps are being
> marinaded in the culture of the capital they may no longer be useful to
> their own people.
Maybe... only no such a place as "native Veps place" exists anymore, they
are all mixed among other nationalities and always in a minority position
(Karelians enjoy a much better survival chance, because they live in compact
groups and it was possible to open schools in Karelian).

Besides, in a society whose main values are "living in Moscow" and "making
lotsa bucks", I would have expected more people to use a facility that was
opening them an easy road to a diplomatic career and to a "rich life
abroad". Yet, it did not happen. It's matter for reflection, indeed. Since
we deal with very small entities you might be interested to know that the
last pagan community in Europe is based in Yoshkar Ola (Russia) and it's
close to extinction, too. In their case the behavior of the Russian
Authorities seems to have been quite aggressive, but the results are
substantially the same. Governments, although sometimes very unpleasant in
their stance, seems to be mostly non influent on these dynamics, when it
comes to final results. So possibly the one and only answer is in the native
community itself, as you suggested.

> A lot of these documents could fit into the
> mandate of Wikisource.
We are already exploring that possibility. Yet it would take some
commons.wikisource, with individual page language tags, so that admin work
is shared and kept to an absolute minimum.

> Outsiders can provide the means in the form of such things as hardware,
> but they need to avoid introducing their expectations, and the
> presumptions that they take for granted.
This is obviously a respectable POV, but when you have small resources you
need help, and help is better found from a neutral party. UNESCO seems the
only neutral party available.

I understand the "leave me alone" stance, as it's quite natural for cultures
that have long being offended. But if you take that stance... then why
should WMF be any better than UNESCO? It's filled up with yanks, after all
:) Anyway, all tribes make their own decisions in full freedom, as it must
be :)

Berto 'd Sera
Personagi dl'ann 2006 per l'arvista american-a Time (tanme tuti vojaotri)
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1569514,00.html