[Wikipedia-l] About creating a new language on Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jul 16 19:26:20 UTC 2007

Rodolfo M Vega wrote:

>The "language invention" must be done by the native speakers of that
>language. This is what native speakers of Amerindian languages are
>fighting for, and are part of United Nations agreements and conventions
>on language rights for native peoples. I am working with Maya, Mapuche
>and Aymara, from the Americas, in this issue. Soon, they will ask to
>have Wikipedia in their own language, including the interface, done by
>themselves, and not by an "expert gringo". Is this possible based on
>your "rules"?

Why should there be a problem?

When the language is a pre-literate one there is still the need to
develop a symbolic representation, such as an alphabet.  One thing that
appears to have happened with the languages of the west coast of North
America is that alphabets were devised by late 19th century
anthropologists on phonetic rather than phonemic grounds.  This was fine
with the anthropologists who wanted to understand accurate
pronunciations, but it would involve distinctions that the native people
would not make themselves.

Ec