[Wikipedia-l] Sensitive subjects on some Wikipedias

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 00:49:04 UTC 2007

> On 13/07/07, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/13/07, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
>
> > > The Turkish Wikipedia has no article on Armenian Genocide.
> > > However, unlike all the other 38 Wikipedias which have articles
> > > on the "Armenian Genocide", it has an article on "Claims of
> > > an Armenian Genocide".
>
> > Because it would "insult Turkishness."
>

> Urgh. Is there any of this sort of idiocy on en:wp?
>
> That's a silly question. *How much* of this sort of idiocy is there on
> en:wp?

Well one cogent example is the article on Martin Luther. The German and
Danish articles feel quite laid back about mentioning that he had a potty
mouth
but at the very least for a long time, the en:wp article (presumably
affected
by more puritan-influenced American Lutherans), was a remarkable piece
of portraying the man as a saint, without blemish of any kind, or even
simple
human failings. Which, if you leave aside his letters and table talk spewing

vitriol and scatological language, for all that, he was definitely of flesh
with
all that comes with it. Even Melancthon said it after his death, that Luther
was (paraphrasing here) certainly remarkably potent medicine for the time
but that the times ills were potent too.

I haven't been to the [[Martin Luther]] article lately, as it appeared to be
[[WP:OWN]]ed by those few who kept it closely bowdlerised and spit and
polished.