[Wikipedia-l] About creating a new language on Wikipedia

A. Decorte adecorte at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 10:51:14 UTC 2007

In Friulian we translated the normal words, such as mouse, to click,
computer, login and so on. But we prefer not to translate technical
word, because I think it's confusing. I mean, in music, other
languages use Italian words, because Italian was the language of
classical music. English is the same in this field. In my opinion is
mainly a problem of understanding:  will the translated word be
clearer? Or they will be confusing for those who already know the
English word, but still not useful for those who didn't know it?
Neologisms could attract interest, but what if people come, see a
Wikipedia in a "artificial language", and go away? Every lost user is
a big problem for small wikies.
Then there is also the problem to "transfer" new words to spoken
language: we translate computer with "ordenadôr", but I heard this
word used only by a man who lives in France, but it has Friulian
origins. And I guess he used it under the influence of French.

By the way in Friulian we say "fâ San Martin" for moving too ;-)