[Wikipedia-l] RFC: Google analytics

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:33:41 UTC 2007

On 06/07/07, Berto 'd Sera <albertoserra at ukr.net> wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> I was asking myself whether small wikies could put the google analytics
> javascript code in their common.js UI message.
>
> It doesn't seem to add load to the WMF server and it would give us extremely
> valuable data on our users (including the list of subjects they mostly read,
> geolocation, etc).

You might want to talk to Tim Starling - I think he's working with
generating better (well, any) statistics from our end, and if we have
something coming down the road it might be better to hang on rather
than using an external source. If nothing else, the privacy (and PR)
implications of sending all our reader data to Google are... not
wonderful.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk