[Wikipedia-l] About creating a new language on Wikipedia

Berto 'd Sera albertoserra at ukr.net
Thu Jul 5 15:42:58 UTC 2007

Whether what I say is nonsense or not is none of my worries, I judge by the
practical results an approach gives me, not based on any ideological theory.
To a certain extent all subjective decisions ARE pure nonsense anyway, and I
can't think of anything more POV than stating what is a language and what is
not.

Seriously, how would you manage? Do we call up the mobs to scream and swear
as we did before, or do we nominate 7 Valencian and 7 Catalan Knights and
make it a Royal Tournament? That's all the choice you're given, you know?

You EITHER
   choose an external reference
OR
   choose yourself.

If you choose yourself (as WMF) you either
  have a limited number of people playing God
or
  make it the result of a wider battle.

Make your choice. It's but three checkboxes in all.

I made mine. The WMF has a voting rate of about 5% at elections, only a VERY
limited number of people read lists and come to META, so no vote can
represent the majority in principle.

No matter how you restrict the number of people having the right to decide
(to avoid socket-puppets) you pretty often end up with votes that are 100%
emotional, and pretty often have nothing to do with languages (they are
actually internal splits based on personal conflicts).

Will you enter this mud and start to play God? I'd rather have an external
decision made. Even if sometimes my own opinion and ISO codes DO diverge. So
what? Most of the stuff on this planet is not as I would want to be...

Berto 'd Sera
Personagi dl'ann 2006 per l'arvista american-a Time (tanme tuti vojaotri)
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1569514,00.html