[Wikipedia-l] school articles : enough

Patrick Hall pathall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:18:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

The task of eliminating particular "non-notable" topics from WP seems
to me impossible.
 After all, for any given topic that one contributor may consider
obviously notable, someone, somewhere, considers it a waste of time.
(Anarchists might think all articles about politics are pointless, or
something.)

What might be possible, on the other hand, would be to allow users to
filter out content that they personally regard as non-notable.

So, those who think Elementary Schools are unimportant could say
"filter out all changes that match *Elementary School* in the title,"
or "hide all articles with the category "Pokemon Cards".

(I don't know anything about the implementation details, perhaps it
would be computationally too demanding. But it must be at least
possible, since we can already filter out bots, minor changes, etc...)

To me, the idea of going to great efforts to *prevent* people from
writing about particular topics is a waste of time better spent
working on topics one is enthusiastic or knowledgeable about.
Particular obsessions seems unreasonable to me; in an encyclopedia
that contains 1.5 million articles, surely there are *dozens* of
topics that any one particular user will find pointless?

-Pat
User:Babbage

--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. -pkd