[Wikipedia-l] school articles : enough

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 28 19:02:13 UTC 2007

Delirium wrote:

>Christopher G. Parham wrote:
>

>>On 1/27/2007 3:15 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>>

>>>A reasonable criterion for companies would be the listing of its shares
>>>on an important stock exchange.
>>>

>>Sadly our actual "notability guideline" explicitly reject that as a
>>criterion.
>>

>It's strange that a small elementary school is inherently notable by
>virtue of existing, but a corporation that's actually publicly traded on
>a major exchange isn't.  I guess the Wikipedia school lobby has more
>clout than the Wikipedia corporate lobby?

While most Wikipedians have probably attended some elementary school, I
sometimes can't help but feeling that there is a profound lack of
understanding  about the corporate world.  Maybe it's just that our
younger crowd has never had the occasion to figure out what the
financial pages are about.  Listed companies have their share prices
reported on a daily basis.  Objective studies are constantly being done
and published by brokerage and other investment firms.  Even a confirmed
opponent of most corporate activities needs to "know his enemy" in oder
to fight them more effectvely.  I wonder whether those who support the
current guidelines for corporate notability have ever bought, owned or
sold any stock in their lives.  The usual image of a corporation st
least gives the appearance of being contrary to any kind of open access
to information.  We probably don't have much of a corporate lobby at all.

Ec