[Wikipedia-l] school articles : enough

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Fri Jan 26 12:15:44 UTC 2007

George Herbert wrote:

>There needs to be more visibility into these problems by the community
>at large.  First I'd heard that OTRS was seeing lots of school-related
>complaints.

There is a special queue called "schools".

>Can you describe in more detail what types of complaints?

Typical complaints: an article (or a former version thereof) will, in
increasing order of severity:
* Contain true, but anecdotal or biasedly presented information on the
school. (Example: three years ago, there was a party where students were
drunk. Who cares? This happens everywhere.)
* Contain false allegations against the school. Example: the school is a
known drug trafficking spot.
* Contain information on the private life of named individuals,
especially minors. Example: calling a certain female student a slut,
saying that such or such teacher is homosexual, or similar.
* Contain libellious accusations against named individuals. Example: the
principal was accused of statutory rape.

That kind of things probably comes from students or former students.
They may stay for days because these articles are largely unpatrolled. I
suspect those who do that do not quite understand the severity of what
they do, that they can create real harm, especially when individuals are
named.

Complaints come from school administrators or parents.