[Wikipedia-l] Cascading protection

Andrew Garrett andrew at epstone.net
Sun Jan 14 10:03:19 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Brion's just enabled a feature of mine called "Cascading Protection". Simply
put, this automagically applies temporary full protection to any page
included on a page protected or semi-protected with the "cascading bit".
Brion has so far protected the Main Page of en.wikipedia with this feature,
which should eliminate main-page vandalism, except of images on commons;
which could be uploaded by a bot, protected manually, or protected on
commons. I would also strongly recommend protecting Main Page/Tomorrow, or
equivalent on other projects, but I lack the sysop bit to do it myself. Any
sysop is free to activate or deactivate this on a page that appears to
require it; within whatever decision-making processes exist on the target
wikis.

Please note that the edit and move tabs will appear as normal to save
performance, however a warning indicating where the cascading protection
comes from will appear when sysops try to edit, and an error will appear
when regular users try to edit these pages.

Take care,

Andrew Garrett

(werdna)