[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the ThirdWorld

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 23:06:41 UTC 2007

Frederick, I think one important anchor for third-world topics is
interwiki collaboration.

Currently, creation of new Wikipedias is at a standstill...

I'm curious though... why the main page of the Konknni Test WP is not
a proper main page but actually the article about Goa, with some
sayings at the end?

Some new Wikis are sure to hit the ground running:

http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/dsb (Lower Sorbian)
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/stq (Saterlandic)
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Test-wp/qya (Quenya)
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Test-WP/kb (Tripuri)
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Test-wp/zb (Uzican)

It tends to be that quality standards on smaller Wikipedias are lower.
You may write material unhindered by the deletionists at AfD. Later,
this material can be reused to translate or to write new material for
en.wp, and can be used as a source in itself if necessary - interwiki
links provide some degree of credibility.

Mark

On 09/01/07, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> Marek makes some great points. I couldn't agree with him more.
>
> If anyone convinces Wikipedia that it needs to be "more like the real
> thing" (whatever that is, including mainstream, printed encyclopedias
> or Encarta), it would be a great loss for the attempt to build
> alternatives. Likewise, it would be hardly helpful if anyone convinces
> Wikipedia that it should focus on the "standard and quality
> information" argument (whatever that is supposed to mean!) over all
> other strengths of the Wikipedia experiment.
>
> For someone like me, the strength of the Wikipedia lies mainly in the
> fact that it has space also for my village of 8000 to be written about
> for a global audience (in a factual manner, of course). If things that
> are important to me are going to be seen as "peripheral" (just because
> they lack size or not being visible enough in cyberspace), then in
> what way is it different from the mainstream... that has kept me out
> in the cold for so long, anyway?
>
> Just the other day, a speaker here in Goa, India was describing
> "remote" communities, and pointing out that the term is misleading in
> itself. As he put it, the logic of "remoteness" is always connected to
> our definition of what is the centre (of the world, of the nation
> state, or whatever). "For people out there, their own location, of
> course, is the centre of the world, as far as they go," he said.
>
> Can we encourage the diversity of the planet to flower in the
> Wikipedia, as it really should? --Frederick "FN" Noronha, Independent
> Journalist, Goa, India.
>
> On 10/01/07, Marek Najmajer <marqoz at wp.pl> wrote:
> > I've been reading some of your meassages or votes for entry deletion, and
> > I'm getting more and more sad.
> >
> > You are trying to have a 'clean' worthfull encyclopaedia with assurance
> > there is no meaningless article in it.
> > It could be understood in case of written, printed book which looks great in
> > the bookshelf (I like books anyway)....
> --
> FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
> http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.