[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 16:43:33 UTC 2007

As for what I find,
I only look on speedy or prod for things that I can quickly spot as
possible without opening them: anything that sounds like real science,
any corporate name I recognize, any research organization name I
recognize, anything that looks like a non-UK/US author or scientist.
These arent many, and I open 20 and get maybe 5 a day worth keeping.
The problem is the personal names I do not recognize. If I have time
to do them, I find another 5/day . Of these 10, usually 1 is absurd
enough that I keep a record of it--the time someone tried to delete
JISC (the major UK interuniversity consortium) or
James Bonner, the very famous biologist, with 3 honorary degrees and a
chair at an ivy.  If people with other backgrounds looked, and every
one was checked by an intelligent person, I think about 10% would be
worth keeping or at least discussing in AfD.

I remove the tag, make a quick fix, say so, and try to notify the main
or only editor. There's an automatic template for the purpose, and the
person placing the delete is supposed to notify the author--they do
about half the time. I add a line or two  of suggestions beyond the
template

For both speedy and prod, anyone other than the author can remove the
tag, and say so with a reason on the edit summary and the talk page.
That automatically stops the process. It is not necessary to be an
admin.

The problems are that: 90% are 1-line autobios or bios of one's
girlfriend or paragraphs naming the teachers in their elementary
school; 5% are long meaningless autobio; 5% are worth thinking about.

As for automatic criteria, it isnt even safe to delete the 1-liners
because some are a start  for a person worth doing. I prefer
intelligent humans. All US/UK villages even have long been entered
from the census returns. Same could be done elsewhere.

I am not concerned about AfDs. Once something is there, it gets at
least a few people.
I haven't kept track, but I think most are rightly decided.  There's
about 100 discussions a day. Join those 1 or 2 you think you could
really help. Learn the language that works, be realistic, avoid lost
causes, and earn respect from the others.

I do not think structural change is hopeless; but we shoudn't wait for
it. Direct action is the way.  WP like most large organizations is run
by a very small number of the members, but, unlike most, anyone with
time to particpate can join in that number. --David G.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.