[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 11:42:31 UTC 2007

On 09/01/07, Michael Billington <michael.billington at gmail.com> wrote:

> On one side we have western places. For instance, Wikipedia has an article
> about my town, political division and local member of parliament. My town
> and surrounding ones (all of which have wiki articles) have a population of
> 1,500 or so. Rambot has written articles about towns 1/10th of the size of
> mine.

Rambot has written articles about towns with zero inhabitants.

This is not a bad thing - it's not like completeness of coverage costs
us paper, and we can claim to cover EVERY settlement known to the US
Census.

> *And I may be a bit too ambitious in assuming we have editors from just
> about every country

One of the reasons for the popularity of en:wp (still 54% of all
wikipedia.org traffic) is its breadth. Far too often, I have trouble
convincing non-English-native-speakers that their native language
Wikipedia is worth their close attention. en:wp's ridiculous breadth
seems to add perceptible value in practice.

- d.