[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 09:07:52 UTC 2007

2007/1/9, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>:

> Frederick Noronha wrote:
>
> > Maybe we should use some discernment, instead of the mechanical rule
> > of 'number of links' on Google or where-ever.
>
> The question if a topic is notable enough to deserve an entry, can
> only be answered with "yes" or "no", and this is pretty much
> "mechanical", so you cannot really escape the mechanics.

Do I understand correctly that you are saying that yes/no questions can only
be answered mechanically? I strongly disagree. Of course you can escape the
mechanics, doing it mechanically might make things somewhat easier, but
surely Wikipedia editors are able to judge non-quantified arguments on their
merits.

This kind of reasoning is not limited to the English Wikipedia or
> the cities of India, but can be used in the Ukrainian Wikipedia
> for Hungarian composers with more than 3 symphonies or whatever.
> I don't know if 50,000 inhabitants or 3 symphonies are good limits
> for notability, but if you can make such a claim and back it up,
> then people should be less likely to attack you.  At least they
> will understand that you are not totally clueless or naked.

I guess I should not go into the examples, but in this case my opinion is
that 50,000 would be too high a limit,  I myself would be thinking of 2,000
or 5,000. 3 symphonies sounds like a bad limit because notability of a
classical composer in my opinion should not be judged by their output, but
by the question how often and by whom their work is played.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels