[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

Steve subsume at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:33:29 UTC 2007

I don't think it would be a grave error, but our opinions about this do not
matter. There are people who do think its heresy.

Because these people are so focused on notability and reduction of error,
these like minds collect at AFD/Speedy delete. Since Wikipedia is a
volunteer effort, people will gravitate towards jobs which fulfill their
particular passion. So, I think this rule explains why deletionists are
attracted to AFD as a hangout.

Its kind of like the tenant here in American law (and probably elsewhere)
that says its better to let 100 guilty people free than to send 1 innocent
person to jail. However, the inverse of this is true at AFD.

In the west, where something like an Oral tradition/history is so foreign to
us its not hard for us to write it off as hearsay, non-notable, even gossip.
And yet any random thing that our news media decides to attend to for the
minute becomes instantly notable. There's no way to appeal this because its
just what Wikipedia has become. At the very least I hope this discussion is
generating rhetoric for you to use in AFD debates against deletionists. It
sounds like a lot of very wonderful things are being lost.

-S