[Wikipedia-l] Entries for deletion.... issues from the Third World

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:46:41 UTC 2007

2007/1/8, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org>:

> Maybe we should use some discernment, instead of the mechanical rule
> of 'number of links' on Google or where-ever. In journalism, it is
> always easy to make out what is a 'plug' for someone and what is a
> genuine news-item. Guess Wikipedia could depend on local teams to also
> offer some cross-checking. FN

That's definitely a possibility. As said before, I think that mechanically
counting the number of links on Google is no good at all. The very least one
should do, is set the limits differently depending on the subject - higher
for western subjects, computer-related subjects and pop culture, lower for
third world subjects or subjects that had their main popularity over 10
years ago.

But even better would be to check not the number but the nature of the links
found. Or something similar to your proposal: If the Google search does not
give a clear answer immediately, have a list of experts where one or a few
can be chosen who should be able to render judgement.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels