No subject

Sat Jan 6 13:53:56 UTC 2007

Information on contributing to the current events page

"Current events is not a news page. We shouldn't be in the business of
writing articles about breaking news stories, unless indeed we can be very
confident, as in the case of the September 11 attacks, that in the future
there will be a significant call for an encyclopedia article on that topic.
One very significant danger is that news articles must be kept current in
order to remain accurate. Wikipedians might begin a news article and then
simply lose interest in the topic, whereupon the article becomes
inaccurate. In short, we aren't set up to be an amateur news organization,
and we shouldn't try to compete with professional news organizations."

In this case the significance of the stock market downturn is not yet
determined; the invasion may not happen at all but is sure to be
significant when it does. It is pretty clear that an article that does
doesn't attract participation is a loser. If an article does attact
significant participation it provides a record of contemporary views of the
event.

I think any event might be mentioned in current events with links to
existing or proposed background articles. The event itself might not be a
worthy article.

Fred Bauder