[Wikipedia-l] be: and be-x-old: interwiki

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Apr 29 15:16:56 UTC 2007

Alexander Cajcyc wrote:

> By the way, when will the wikipedia prefix for Classical
> Belarusian changed to something reasonable from the temporary
> "be-x-old"? A good proposal was "be-classic", "be-class" or
> similar.

The conclusion on an IETF mailing list is that "classic" is a
designation that can cause controversy and should be avoided,
because of the positive value it gives to one orthography over the
other.  A more neutral term is Tarask... (-ievich?) based on the
name of the author of a book that describes this orthography.

One would have guessed that these matters would already be covered
in an NPOV fashion by the English Wikipedia article about the
language, and it is a surprise that it has to be discussed on
mailing lists.

The situation has been compared to Norwegian bokmål vs. nynorsk.
But I think it is better to compare it to bokmål before and after
the 1938 reform of the Norwegian language, and the rise of the
riksmål movement (people who didn't accept the 1938 reform).
Perhaps there was an international trend of radical and
controversional language reforms in the 1930s, just as many other
parts of society was reformed then.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)