[Wikipedia-l] Account password restrictions changed

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 18:23:52 UTC 2007

> And how people can have their account back if they didn't give any
> email adress?

We've just been discussing this on the enwiki buro noticeboard. In the
case we were discussing, the user had linked to their itwiki account
which did have an email address, so we could confirm their identity
and the plan is to rename the account so it will no longer match the
password. However, if there isn't any way to confirm the identity of
the user then I think the account is lost for good - there is no way
to know if the person requesting access to their account is owner of
the account. That's the price you pay for not having the common sense
to use a sensible password.