[Wikipedia-l] Deletions, speedy deletions... and retributions...

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 00:07:14 UTC 2007

One Way to help:

One good way that groups (and individuals)  in the third world (and
anywhere else) can help wikipedia retain and add to the articles on
their work is to state explicitly on their web  sites that the pages
are licensed GFDL (or just public domain). At least the text, and if
possible the images.  Very often this is the main source for an
article, and article are often deleted for contain too much copied
text. Many pages and especially images in Europe and elsewhere are
licensed for nonprofit use only, and this does not meet the
requirements of en WP.

There is of course the mechanism to request permission, but it is
usual for organizations and webmasters not to react fast enough.

Many of the eds. at WP can & will quickly take such information and
adapt and reduce it to a good article--it takes much longer to rewrite
from scratch. I personally try to rewrite one such article a week, but
if I could use blocks of web text and photos when appropriate  I could
do two or three.

On 4/25/07, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> Dear all,

> The speedy deletions of pages of organisations
> whose work is widely noticed and is certainly relevant to the Third
> World (or the so-called "developing world") is unfair.
>  Special care needs to be taken about groups working in non-English
> languages and those on the so-called "periphery" (i.e. not in the "big
> cities that matter" or the bigger nations that have so many of their
> denizens active in cyberspace). Many such groups might not be visible
> enough in cyberspace, but that hardly means their work is not
> relevant!

> Frederick "FN" Noronha
> Goa, India.

> ----