[Wikipedia-l] More on page deletions...

Miguel Bravo-Ferrer miguel.bravoferrer at ABG-abogados.es
Tue Apr 24 09:09:05 UTC 2007

Sorry Fred, probably I had misunderstood the focus of the debate and I had
omitted in my e-mail your decisive intervention that was for me the reason
why I supported the removing made by Angela, not for the number of affected
people. If I have well understood, the problem was the "blatant advertising
for a company, product, group, service or person". Sorry I have wrongly
situated ny supporting.
Frederick Noronha wrote 4-20-2007

>Numbers are important. But I don't think everything can be judged by
>numbers alone.

>(Someone was asking on a journalism mailing list how 30+ US lives
>match up with 190+ in Iraq as far as the mainstream media goes! Then,
>if everything went by numbers alone, one-seventh of the Wikipedia's
>content should have focussed on India, and about one-sixth on China.
>But we know that doesn't happen! So, we seem to be facing the pinch
>both ways! When it comes to non-inclusion, and when it comes to
>deletion.)

>Also, what happens when a network is based outside of the "cities that
>matter"? Visibility is going to be a further issue, specially when
>communication is in, say, Spanish! It's hard for me to imagine how
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemencia_Rodriguez gets tagged for
>'non-notability'. Either someone is misunderstanding things here, or
>the criteria is really bizarre. Take a look at the comment by BineMaya
>at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Clemencia_Rodriguez in response
>to this.

>These are issues that those building alternatives have to face up to.
>We seem to be failing in reflecting diversity at a global scale. Are
>we even trying? FN

>On 20/04/07, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/20/07, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> > This page on a prominent alternate global media event is being called
> > "blatant advertising for a company, product, group, service or
> > person".
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OURMedia/NUESTROSMedios
>
> I removed content on this from [[Ourmedia]] a year ago since the group
> had only 279 members and probably didn't deserve an article.
>
> Angela

On what grounds? That smaller groups are necessarily non-notable? Or
that only large groups can do positive work? FN

On 24/04/07, Miguel Bravo-Ferrer <miguel.bravoferrer at abg-abogados.es> wrote:
> Angela beesley wrote
>
> >I removed content on this from [[Ourmedia]] a year ago since the group
> > had only 279 members and probably didn't deserve an article.
>
> I support your decision

FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com
Konkani Wikipedia (under incubation) needs your help!
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/kok