[Wikipedia-l] UTS, Sydney...

Frederick Noronha fred at bytesforall.org
Thu Apr 12 10:08:04 UTC 2007

I happened to be just passing through the University of Technology,
Sydney (UTS) and tried editing the Wikipedia there. This is the
message I got:

secure login
	This account or IP address has been blocked from editing.
You were blocked by Proxy blocker for the following reason (see our
blocking policy):
Your IP address has been blocked because it is an open proxy. Please
contact your Internet service provider or tech support and inform them
of this serious security problem. Editing Wikipedia through an open
proxy is not allowed; see this policy for details.

Your IP address is 138.25.2.22.

I asked IT support, but they said it was unlikely to change, because
35,000 students had to be catered to (and I guess, they have their way
of accessing the server).

All the same, isn't it sad that the students who might want to
contribute to the Wikipedia can't do so? Is there some solution?
Regards, FN (based otherwise in Goa, India)
--
FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com