[Wikipedia-l] Entries getting delete...

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 05:01:56 UTC 2007

People will make incorrect speedy judgments based on many kinds of
bias, and also just out of carelessness or recklessness. In the last
few few weeks on en WP, there have been speedies of UK High Court
Judges, American college presidents, landmark novels, major sports
figures whose careers were thought hoaxes, and so on. The error rate
seems to be about 1%, but that can amount to 10 a day.

Speedy is essential for keeping up with the vandalism, but it
exemplifies the problems caused by permitting any editor to do
anything -- and by rapid moving unilateral process without oversight.
David Goodman DGG

On 4/11/07, J.L.W.S. The Special One <hildanknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could also use {{hangon}}.
>
> I hope people will not make quick notability judgements influenced by
> systemic bias.
>
> 2007/4/12, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org>:
> > Thanks all. But I did post in the talk page. I mentioned my ongoing
> > work in this field. Three entries were nominated for speedy deletion.
> > Two were not. And one was. The logic seems a bit hard to fathom.
> > Anyway, I think the Wikipedia is doing a great job. Keep on at it. FN

> > > Worse than that, this article clearly meets all notibility requirements.
> > > Simply type it into Google. I am restoring immediately.
> > >
> > > Frederick, I do have a suggestion. When you see any one of these delete
> > > messages POST IN DETAIL ON THE TALK PAGE. If you do not, someone coming
> > > across the page has no information on which to base their decision.
> > >
> > > Maury

> > --
> > FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
> > http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com
> > Konkani Wikipedia (under incubation) needs your help!
> > http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/kok

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.