[Wikipedia-l] Version 0.5 CD *finally* released

Mark Clements gmane at kennel17.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 14:02:39 UTC 2007

"Titoxd at Wikimedia"
<titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:000201c77931$bc57fd70$6501a8c0 at TitoLap...
> [cross-posted to Foundation-l, Wikipedia-l and WikiEN-l]
>
> Well, after a couple of snags that pushed back the release dates,
Wikipedia 0.5 is finally available for commercial distribution. Thanks to
Linterweb, one of the long-term goals of the Version 1.0 Editorial Team in
the English Wikipedia has been accomplished.

> The release consists of an eclectic selection of 1964 articles, selected
over a period of one year, which span from Art to Zeus. It draws heavily on
the English Wikipedia's featured article base, to have it also be a showcase
of the best of our work. The CD is available at
http://www.wikipediaondvd.com, and sells for approximately ?12 ($15 USD,
£8.50) with part of the sales going directly to the Wikimedia Foundation.
The CD is also publicly viewable online, and the CD's ISO file is available
as well.

The website is still broken if you don't have CSS enabled/available (all the
navigation disappears).  This should be fixed as a matter of priority.

I also agree with others that it is not clear that the DVD is a 'best of'
compilation, rather than an off-line copy of the entire encyclopedia.

- Mark Clements (HappyDog)