[Wikipedia-l] Extension to [[MediaWiki:Bad image list]]

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 26 05:43:16 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Don't_worry_about_performance
>
> Hey, wow. Thanks. :)
>
> I was going to raise that point... but I figured I'd catch Tim in IRC.
>
> In any case, I agree here.. the issue is that for every valid case
> where it might be good to be performance minded there are 10 other
> cases where people will use uninformed performance oriented arguments
> to support whatever policy measure they prefer... The end result is a
> lot of silly actions in the name of performance .. or a lot of
> needless performance questions. :)

Sure, using poorly informed performance-oriented arguments to win whatever
argument you're having is a bad thing. But it's not an issue when I am
telling you EXACTLY WHAT TO DO. In fact, I've been thinking about writing
some general guidelines for template performance optimisation that editors
can follow. Editors can do quite a lot for the performance of the site, if
their efforts are properly informed. I've even edited articles myself, for
the sole purpose of making them render faster. Others could do the same.

-- Tim Starling