[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia and the networked society

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:45:23 UTC 2006

Hi, Berto.

You're right that Meta isn't a place for most people to communicate;
how could a 'deeper introspection' be carried out?  The idea of simply
attracting more people there is interesting; and doesn't require yet
another focal point.

The absence of articles can be powerful; you can tell a lot about a
community by what it describes, and what it doesn't write about.

> Yes we do miss self-awareness, basically one can tell where we are going to
> only once we already got there, based on pure evidence. But are we sure that
> by becoming more aware of ourselves it would be any better? I mean... lots
> of societies (just think of Italy, since I'm a citizen there I'll quote that
> to avoid offending other cultures) simply ignore any rule. Laws are written
> everyday and they all are blatantly ignored by the population, lawmakers
> included. It sounds like hell, yet a number of people go there each every
> year and the place managed to build up a number of great cities. Is
> wikipedia an anarchistic-oriented latin society? Isn't the community simply
> "doing it" and refusing to spend time in discussions while they can "do it
> themselves their own way"? Most signals would suggest that this is what
> users really do. So yes, we do need to plan and be aware of what we do, but
> from the other hand... aren't we risking to damage our own wondertoy?

I wonder if we really refuse to spend time in discussions.  There are
many places to discuss things (sometimes just procrastinating work on
the projects) but one rarely has a clear position on priorities or
large-picture timelines when these matters come up.  The community
includes many great essay-writers... but when a few people write down
their long-term plans, there is nowhere to put it.  We lack a critical
mass of interest to curate these ideas into something reusable.
   I don't know what will disrupt the current wonder, if anything.
But there are some slow not-wonderful changes that could be improved
upon.

<
> So possibly the only sensible answer is: get more contributors.
> Let's see... 200k contributors make (let's be optimistic) 2k meta-involved
> people. Where do we get some 100k contributors from, to enlarge the
> META-base?

Half of the answer is being better about engaging other languages,
which are largely absent on Meta.  Designing better multilingual
patches, error messages, portals (Commons does a better job)...
another half is to link explicitly to Meta from the projects as a
place for a certain kind of discussion [right now you have to look for
a while to know it exists]

> Last but not least... what will we do once a growing number of people who
> aren't speaking english at all will want to have a say in such decisions?

A related question.  Develop a more active or explicit class of
language-bridge contributors, and a simple way to say "I need language
assistance"?

--SJ

++SJ