[Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 07:16:42 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> It is very very important that everyone vote.
>
> I personally strongly strongly support the candidacies of Oscar and
> Mindspillage.
>
> Oscar is an amazing Dutch Wikipedian with strong support from that
> community but who does not have broad exposure in the English
> Wikipedia... I hope we can change that by introducing him to people.
>
> Mindspillage is Mindspillage.  We all know and love her.  Give her some
> votes.
>
> There are other candidates, some good, but at least some of them are
> entirely unacceptable because they have proven themselves repeatedly
> unable to work well with the community.
>
> Please, everyone, vote... and vote for people who you can know and trust
> and care about as human beings.
>
> I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
> community, speak openly of who you trust and why.
>
> --Jimbo
Hoi,
Where you assume that Oscar needs introduction because of him being
little known in the English Wikipedia, the same is true for
Mindspillage. She is not well known outside of the English Wikipedia.
You did both Oscar and Mindspillage a disservice by not properly
introducing either.

Where you state that some are "entirely unacceptable", you forget that
democracy is about the electorate choosing it's champions. It is said
that an electorate gets the representation that it deserves. It is for
the people that are elected and who are not elected to work together.
When this is entirely unacceptable, the notion of people being elected
and being able and allowed to make a difference in that role will not be
fulfilled. It will be a mockery of democracy.

When a person is to be chosen for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation,
it has been said that it is extremely important that the notion of the
WMF being about the English Wikipedia is a false notion. I am afraid
that you damaged Mindspillage by portraying her as an English Wikipedia
person. I think all candidates that focus on Wikipedia in their
statements disqualify themselves as the Wikimedia Foundation is NOT
about Wikipedia.

Thanks,
    GerardM