[Wikipedia-l] Central bibliography

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 22:25:28 UTC 2006

> On 03/09/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
> > I have never been keen on ISBNs either.  In addition to older works that
> > never had an ISBN in the first place, works with a long history of
> > different editions can have any number of ISBNs, and at some point it
> > would be helpful to be able to compare various editions.
>

> Yes. ISBNs are useful indeed, but they were created for the use of the
> publishing industry and are per *edition* rather than per *book*.

Strictly, it's not even "per edition" - it's a sort of odd fusion of
edition and production run. (Trade paperback and hardcover "editions"
will often be textually identical editions - printed from the same
plates, so the text and layout is identical - but just bound and
marketed differently)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk