[Wikipedia-l] Lists of book references and external links

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 2 17:27:50 UTC 2006

Matt Brown wrote:
> I've learned, personally, {{cite web}} and {{cite book}}'s
> fundamentals, and look stuff up from time to time.  I've also created
> subst:able templates for reference works I cite a lot, so I don't have
> to do the thinking.

Way back when I was doing a bunch of work citing various articles about
Stargate subjects and I kept using the same episode citations over and
over. I considered creating a group of templates specifically for those
cites, for example

<ref>{{cite stargate sg-1/broca's gap}}</ref>

So I wouldn't have to keep looking up airdates and other details to fill
in, and if the citation format changed or more information became
available they could all be updated with a single edit. Perhaps some
sort of formalized system along these lines might be useful for common
references? <ref>{{cite collection/Oxford dictionary 2006}}, p.
1245</ref> for example. These big bibliographic lists would then become
collections of templates like this and they'd make better project pages.