[Wikipedia-l] Lists of book references and external links

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 08:13:26 UTC 2006

> The cite templates are byzantine. I'm not going to figure them all out
> any more than I'm going to learn every variety of stub template - I
> know a few, but often I'll just put {{stub}} and let someone who wants
> to pick the precisely correct one. I hope this comes across more as
> "division of labour" than "too lazy to do it properly" ;-)

Part of the Wiki way is the fact that your work doesn't have to be
'finished' before you put it up.

In terms of the cite templates, someone who knows nothing about the
actual reference should be able to turn a handwritten reference line
into a templated one, so those who care about that can do it
themselves.

I've learned, personally, {{cite web}} and {{cite book}}'s
fundamentals, and look stuff up from time to time.  I've also created
subst:able templates for reference works I cite a lot, so I don't have
to do the thinking.

-Matt