[Wikipedia-l] Analyzing and Visualizing the Semantic Coverage of Wikipedia

Frederick "FN" Noronha fredericknoronha at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 18:57:13 UTC 2006

I think it has to do with the fact that Internet access in India is
still very limited, and, in some ways, very new.

As a journalist (based in Goa), I've been on e-mail access since 1994.
But till just about 12-18 months back, I paid for every minute of
internet time. Around that time, I managed to get unlimited dial-up
access. Some six months back, I got access to broadband. And only
about two months back, got unlimited 256 kbps broadband (at an
affordable Rs 900 per month).

This may not reflect everyone's situation, since I live some ten kms
out of a town in the smallest state. But outside of the metros (the
four big cities), most people are in a similar predicament.

Also, not enough people have discovered the Wikipedia yet in India. Or
so it seems. But you can expect the tide to turn in not too long a
time. Let's hope so! FN

Frederick Noronha http://fn.goa-india.org  9822122436 +91-832-240-9490
http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com fredericknoronha at gmail.com