[Wikipedia-l] starting a new language

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 21 13:17:41 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>ScottL wrote:

>>From a practical approach you have a point but I hesitate to adopt
>>

>>>the POV of an external organization even a standards body unless the POV
>>>is can be reasonably supported.  Which means it should still be a case
>>>by case thing.
>>>

>>Absolutely.  That's why I emphasize that such a POV is only a starting
>>point.

    Hoi,

Please explain what the arguments are NOT to accept a standard that is
the only viable way of making sure that other people understand what
language we are using. Please explain what alternative exists given the
all too frequent choice of codes that are the codes for languages given
by the standards organisation when new projects are proposed. Please
explain what is gained by going against what is the standard for the
acceptance of languages and measure it against what it would cost us to
do it in an idiosyncratic manner. Please explain what is wrong to use
either codes that comply with the standard and when we do not want to
use such a code, a code that is manifestly different.

It is fine to have a different opinion but please let there be some
method behind the madness.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Your requests for explanations seem more rhetorical than substantive.  These requests would be better placed in the context of considering a specific language.  Beyond that you are attacking points that I never made.  I merely said that there are circumstances where there are better alternatives than a slavish adherence to standards.

Ec