[Wikipedia-l] starting a new language

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 18 16:39:59 UTC 2006

ScottL wrote:

>   Are you advocating dis-including a language because it does not have
>an acceptable abbreviation?  Or are you maintaining that it is not
>actually a language?
>
>   If the first, then I suspect that is not a good reason to disallow a
>new wikipedia to be formed.

The practical approach is still to presume that the existence of an
official ISO 639 is strong evidence for allowing a Wikipedia in that
language, and that the absence carries a presumption that we should
not.  Nevertheless, any presumption is rebuttable.  Several constructed
languages have a code, but the barriers for having Wikipedias in those
should be higher.  For languages without a code there is still a large
swath of q-codes available for user definition if a language meets our
other criteria.

Ec