[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Oct 16 22:26:48 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> The point is: suppose someone wanted to buy $100,000,000 of existing
> copyrighted material and set it free.  What should it be?

Wikipedia could certainly use that kind of money, and it would be
a shame to turn the offer down.  But apparently the WMF isn't
going to get the money anyway, because it will be paid to some
alredy wealthy rights holder.  This is a waste, even if it is the
rights holder we're pointing at.  Should we cooperate in this?
Not me.  But then again, I'm not speaking for the foundation.

If the WMF had the money without any restrictions, would it really
buy copyrights for it?  I strongly doubt that.  I can come up with
half a dozen better ideas for how to spend money.

Somebody has wasted their life, and all they have left now is a
big bag of money.  Poor souls!  And now they want to attach the
name of Wikipedia to a "big donation" in their name, as if this
was something Wikipedia just couldn't do without. If this donation
is accepted, it is inevitable that it will make headlines, not
because of how useful it is to Wikipedia, but because of the huge
sum of money.

Or are they going to make this effort even if Wikipedia's name
isn't attached to it?  Could this donation be made towards the far
less glorious Internet Archive?  Then Wikipedia could nod and say:
Yeah, we might be able to use parts of that.

If you want to make copyrighted contents free, I think you should
avoid to involve money, because Wikipedia's moral argument is far
stronger than its financial assets will ever be. But is that the
problem addressed here?  It sounds a lot more as if the real
problem is how to spend this money that somebody happens to have,
while at the same time pushing the idea that copyrights are worth
paying for, and thus shouldn't be given up for nothing.

The whole scheme reeks of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation,
where so-called "money" is spent to help schools, when in fact
that money is paid to Microsoft Corporation for software licenses,
that the school could have for free if they used free software.

Even though US$ 0.1 bn is a lot, it is just 1/16 of what Google
bought Youtube for, and Wikipedia's name will be remembered a lot
longer than Youtube's.  You might say, yes, that was $1.6 bn in
Google shares, that could be worthless any week.  But here we're
talking $0.1 bn not in cash but in "copyright vouchers", which
could lose value far sooner than Google shares.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)