[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 16 13:22:11 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> I think it would be a mistake to start pouring money into such
> institutions, which should instead be forced (by a change of
> copyright law or national policy) or encouraged to give it away.
> We'd run out of money much too soon, and we'd build expectations
> that old collections can bring profits.

I have to agree here. It seems that, as a general priority, we should
let money talk to those who only understand money. Big publishers,
news agencies, photo agencies, etc. (In this process, we should of
course also only liberate content in areas where we are currently
weak: video, professional illustrations, historical photographs,
textbooks, ..)

I think we should also focus on works from the last 30 years and put
some energy behind a copyright reform effort to get even older content
liberated by legal means.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.