[Wikipedia-l] [Commons-l] Dream a little...

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 15 18:24:06 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I would like to gather from the community some examples of works you
> would like to see made free, works that we are not doing a good job of
> generating free replacements for, works that could in theory be
> purchased and freed.
>
> Dream big.  Imagine there existed a budget of $100 million to purchase
> copyrights to be made available under a free license.  What would you
> like to see purchased and released under a free license?

Scientists have a zillion valuable photographs that they're sitting on,
either out of lack of motivation or because they hope to use it in a
future publication, and they don't necessarily know about free
licensing. Hire somebody to work fulltime organizing volunteers to
contact these people, or call them personally. Place ads in professional
journals. Possibly offer nominal payment (call them "honoraria" :-) ) in
exchange for free licenses. Hire a couple prominent people as
consultants to visibly offer their material and lobby their colleagues.

Also, contract for legal advice in various countries to get the real
status of their material, such as the Philippine government situation
discussed recently. A statute found online does not take into account
court cases for instance, and you'd need a qualified practitioner to
come up with the right rule for Wikimedia projects.

Stan