[Wikipedia-l] RFC: Principles of mass content adding on small Wikipedias

Finne Boonen finne at cassia.be
Sun Jan 29 00:19:12 UTC 2006

what you're talking about is slightly dangerous, en: has been known to
be incorrect quite often :)

on another note, this idea is better implementend in the wikidata
idea, but by heart I don't know where info on that lives.

mvg
Finne Boonen

On 1/29/06, Milos Rancic <millosh at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Maybe this should go on Meta, but I want to see comments here, first.
>
> As I can see, there are two ways of mass content adding. The first one
> includes generation of articles based on some public data (for example
> NASA, National Geospatial Inteligence Agency, French government etc.)
> Now, this is almost usual way for mass content adding and I think that
> a number of us have some experience with such work.
>
> The other way is adding content using English Wikipedia. English
> Wikipedia has a lot of categorized articles, a lot of templates etc.
> All these typical forms can be used for automatic content creation on
> small Wikipedias.
>
> I think that idea of having a thousends of articles with a couple of
> sentences and good categorization about a lot of fields -- can be very
> helpful not only to small Wikipedias, but also for spreading free
> knowledge. I think that it would be a great day for us when people
> which native language is Mongolian will be able to read about places
> in Amazon and movies from Australia in their native language. And,
> this is possible to do much faster then we think.
>
> And not only that: bots should be able to update information; bots
> should be able to do more things through time. Finally, it would be
> possible to start with knowledge transfer between Wikipedias in
> different languages: if we have the same methodology on different
> Wikipedias, we would be able to update data semi-automatic (up to full
> automatic).
>
> However, this needs a number of people who are interested in such project:
>
> (1) We would need people who know to work with bots (pywikipediabot or
> something similar).
> (2) We would need make software based on the bot core which would have
> to be localized: like MediaWiki should be localized; this software
> should have sentences like "<movie> is movie made in <year> in
> in a number of languages.
> (3) We would need good and quality work on English Wikipedia. Rules
> like "this goes to the table, that goes to the template up, this goes
> to template in the middle" should be more or less strict (but, I see
> that people are working in such way on en:).
>
> This is RFC. I am looking for your comments.

"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"
http://hekla.rave.org/cookbook.html - my crossplatform dieet/recipe app