[Wikipedia-l] Serbo-Croatian wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jan 9 01:18:52 UTC 2006

Milos Rancic wrote:

>On 1/8/06, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>So it appears that there is no valid reason to have separate wikis for each country that
>>was formerly part of Yugoslavia. One Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia will do, IMO.
>>

>Until we would have a good implementation of software, separate
>Wikipedias are needed. Serbo-Croatian is, again, offensive term to 90%
>of inhabitants of Serbia and Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and
>Croatia.

Perhaps patience is required at least until the software is working.  My
impression from the Yugoslave diaspora is that Serbo-Croatian is a
preferred term if it saves them from having to identify themselves with
one or another of the factions.  That or they will use the vague phrase,
"my language".

>>That Serbian, Croation, and Bosnian are separate languages appears to be a
>>politically-convenient fiction that wants to enforce differences that don't really exist. That
>>can only tend to enforce component-nation-specific POVs and thus violate NPOV (as
>>would having separate Wikipedais for Simplified and Traditional Chinese).
>>

>POV is present on English Wikipedia, too. There are no chance to add
>free about USA foreign politics on English Wikipedia. For example,
>there are a number of articles named as "incidents" even US soldiers
>were killing a lot of civilians. Pushing POV is very usual on
>Wikipedia.

I'm sure that these problems are constant irritations in every project
with more than one contributor.

Ec